9 1 9 0 1

Follow TrueDelta

TrueDelta at Facebook TrueDelta at Google+ TrueDelta at Twitter

Nissan LEAF Gas Mileage (MPG)

Unlike other fuel economy surveys, TrueDelta's Real-World Gas Mileage Survey includes questions about how and where a car was driven. So you can get an idea of the Nissan LEAF's real-world MPG based on how and where you drive a car.

Reported MPG

Flagged Gas Tank

Why do you want to mark this gas tank as suspect?

 characters remaining
If you are not a TrueDelta member, you can see only five Nissan LEAF MPG averages for each powertrain. Log in or join us to see them all.

Nissan LEAF Gas Mileage

Year Body/Powertrain flat, hilly, or mountainousLand driving style: very light to "lead foot"Foot A/C use: none to heavyA/C constant stop and goTraf % many stops per mileCity % stop every mile or twoSub % fairly steady speedHwy % Hwy Spd MPG
2011 4dr Hatch 107-horsepower Electric
1-speed automatic FWD
flat med hvy 0 20 10 70 70 101.7
2011 4dr Hatch 107-horsepower Electric
1-speed automatic FWD
flat med hvy 0 20 10 70 70 101.7
  Averages flat med hvy 0 20 10 70 70 101.7
With the 107-horsepower Electric engine, 1-speed automatic transmission, and front-wheel drive, 2011 Nissan LEAF fuel economy has been averaging 101.7 MPG (miles per gallon).

The 2011 Nissan LEAFs in this analysis were driven mostly on the highway at an average speed of 70 miles per hour (about 70 percent of the miles driven). The rest of the miles were in the city (20 percent), in the suburbs (10 percent), and in heavy traffic (0 percent).

In addition the average 2011 Nissan LEAF in this analysis was driven on flat terrain with a medium foot and the AC on most or all of the time.

Return to top

Nissan LEAF Electric Fuel Economy

Year Body/Powertrain flat, hilly, or mountainousLand driving style: very light to "lead foot"Foot A/C use: none to heavyA/C constant stop and goTraf % many stops per mileCity % stop every mile or twoSub % fairly steady speedHwy % Hwy Spd MPG
2012 4dr Hatch 107-horsepower Electric
1-speed automatic FWD
flat light none 0 0 30 70 65 22.8
2012 4dr Hatch 107-horsepower Electric
1-speed automatic FWD
flat light none 0 0 30 70 65 22.8
  Averages flat light none 0 0 30 70 65 22.8
With the 107-horsepower Electric engine, 1-speed automatic transmission, and front-wheel drive, the 2012 Nissan LEAF has been averaging 22.8 MPG (miles per gallon).

The 2012 Nissan LEAFs in this analysis were driven mostly on the highway at an average speed of 65 miles per hour (about 70 percent of the miles driven). The rest of the miles were in the suburbs (30 percent), in heavy traffic (0 percent), and in the city (0 percent).

In addition the average 2012 Nissan LEAF in this analysis was driven on flat terrain with a light foot and the AC not used at all.
 
Year Body/Powertrain flat, hilly, or mountainousLand driving style: very light to "lead foot"Foot A/C use: none to heavyA/C constant stop and goTraf % many stops per mileCity % stop every mile or twoSub % fairly steady speedHwy % Hwy Spd MPG
2011 4dr Hatch 107-horsepower Electric
1-speed automatic FWD
flat v.lt none 0 0 20 80 70 31.6
2011 4dr Hatch 107-horsepower Electric
1-speed automatic FWD
flat v.lt none 0 0 20 80 70 31.6
  Averages flat v.lt none 0 0 20 80 70 31.6
With the 107-horsepower Electric engine, 1-speed automatic transmission, and front-wheel drive, 2011 Nissan LEAF gas mileage has been averaging 31.6 MPG (miles per gallon).

The 2011 Nissan LEAFs in this analysis were driven mostly on the highway at an average speed of 70 miles per hour (about 80 percent of the miles driven). The rest of the miles were in the suburbs (20 percent), in heavy traffic (0 percent), and in the city (0 percent).

In addition the average 2011 Nissan LEAF in this analysis was driven on flat terrain with an ultra-light foot and the AC not used at all.

Return to top

What Our Members Are Saying about the Real Nissan LEAF MPG

Nissan LEAF Fuel Economy: Pros
Year Body/Powertrain Comment
2012 4dr Hatch 107-hp Electric 1-sp automatic FWD You will NEVER fill up with stinky gas at a gas station again ... you'll only stop at a gas station to use the washroom and get a coffee. However, on the subject of "fuel", it is very efficient with the clean electrons. And the feedback is excellent. You always have access to how well you're driving technique is. Plus, you get more information when you look it up on Nissan's LEAF website of your personal driving efficiency and how you did relative to other LEAF drivers in your country or around the world. When comparing purchase prices or lease payments, you must take into consideration that your electric bill will be ONE-TENTH the price of your gas guzzler's gas bill. That means that your $300 per month gas credit card expense will become a mere $30 on your electric bill.
2012 4dr Hatch 107-hp Electric 1-sp automatic FWD At my present rate of .088 per kilowat this car has cost 2.2 cents per mile.
2011 4dr Hatch 107-hp Electric 1-sp automatic FWD Less than $.03/mile for electricity.
2011 4dr Hatch 107-hp Electric 1-sp automatic FWD Obviously, Fuel economy is one of the Leaf's strongest features. The car gets amazing milage. The Battery is 24Kw and I pay 10 cents per kilowatt where I live in Texas. This means that it costs about $2.40 to charge it up completely from empty. From empty I can get about 75 miles of normal highway/city mixed driving. My previous car, a Chrysler Sebring Limited convertible got 23 miles per gallon. So it would take me about 3.2 gallons of gas to go 75 miles in my Sebring. At $3.50 per gallon it would cost me $11.41 to go that same 75 miles in my Sebring that only costs me $2.40 in my Leaf. The price of gas would have to be 75 cents per gallon for my sebring just to match cost of the feul to drive the same distance as my Leaf. I doubt we'll ever see that price again.
Nissan LEAF Fuel Economy: Cons
Year Body/Powertrain Comment
2012 4dr Hatch 107-hp Electric 1-sp automatic FWD Fuel Economy is the closest category I found for "Range". Fully charged the LEAF says it will travel 100 miles, and in the right conditions (35 miles per hour with minimal stopping) it probably would go 100 miles. For normal driving, I'd say the range is 75 miles, unless the heater is on, then that could drop to about 50 - 60 miles. My commute to work is short and I wanted this car for local travel, to the grocery store, Costco, etc, and for that purpose it works well. Unfortunately in my town there is only one place that has a charging station and that is the Nissan Dealer. If I travel outside of town, I need to find a charging station or be sure I am within 35 miles from home. When I have to travel to Corporate I have to take one of our Gas Cars, since it is on the outskirts of my 35 mile range. To fully charge the car it takes 3 hours, which limits my destination.