9 1 9 0 1

TrueDelta at Facebook TrueDelta at Google+ TrueDelta at Twitter

Why (Not) the Subaru Outback?

Subaru Outback reviews by TrueDelta members get to the point: the best reasons for buying (or not buying) the Outback.

Non-members can see only fifteen Subaru Outback reviews. Join us and see them all.

Subaru Outback Reviews

03/12/14

Very happy with the 2014 OB!
A member in Massachusetts, United States

Best Reason to Buy the Subaru Outback: Past personal experience
Purchased a 2014 Outback Premium in late December 2013 to replace our 2001 Outback. We've had the car 2.5 months, and put 3500 miles on it so far. We love it!

Parked next to the old one, it is about the same length, a little bit wider maybe, but about 4-5 inches taller. The additional height makes the interior of the 2014 feel much more spacious.

You really notice the difference when driving-- height of eye and visibility is better in the 2014.

We're also getting 27 MPG combined in the new car, compared to 23 in the old one.

Best Reason Not to Buy the Subaru Outback: Feature availability
My biggest complaint with the Premium is that you can't get a backup camera unless you also get the sunroof. I can't take the sunroof-- as I need the headroom it takes away.

Also, the sunroof isn't that great, even if it didn't steal over an inch of headroom-- it is rather small. The one on the Forrester is much nicer.

Other Reasons to Buy the Subaru Outback: Powertrain performance, Quietness, Front seat support & comfort, Rear seat room & comfort

Other Reasons Not to Buy the Subaru Outback: Front seat support & comfort

10/02/13

A member in Montana, United States

Best Reason to Buy the Subaru Outback: Reliability & durability
I just took my 2011 Outback 2.5 Limited in for its timing belt. I have 105,230 miles on the car and bought it new. It is hard to think this car was anything but a great purchase decision. $30 in repairs (gas cap, wasn't stranded) was all I've spent. I had a 2009 Jetta TDI before despite the mileage of the TDI, the Outback is much cheaper to drive. I have purchase a new battery, changed the differential fluid for the 3rd time and use Mobil 1 syth+filter every 7500 mi. Changed the spark plugs at 60k. Don't. Waste of time. They looked brand new. Will do again every 100k. Air filters every 20-30k. Headlights are a pain to change (Youtube). Mine lasted 60k.

Guessing the shop will tell me when I need brakes. I think it will be a while still.

Best Reason Not to Buy the Subaru Outback: Feature availability
Wishes for future models would be an Audi Allroad killer. Put the 2.0T in an outback, 30+mpg. Super suspension (2013 got better suspension but is it awesome? I haven't gotten to drive one). Altimiter. Copy the computer function off a VW. I want to be able to "set" all the things I could in my Jetta. I want an all-windows-sunroof-close button or auto close on phone ring. The bluetooth phone integration is terrible. 5 star crash test on everything but roll over. 4 star ok there. Continue to make the car quieter (it is a lot better than previous gen Outback). $1300 small sunroof on Outback? $1600 panoramic on many other cars. Sub's should be $400 if it was priced on size. Turn signal blinkers on the mirror. Reliability transparency. No company is and I CAN'T BELIEVE consumers put up with it (thank you TrueDelta). Work with Yakima/Thule when you change the rack. The 2013 change that made the kit not fit and not telling Y/T is rude. Make the high beams the new medium beams and put some nuclear bright headlights on for high beams. I want to see when driving in the middle of no where.Full size spare.Use LED headlights so no lightbulbs to replace. Long range there needs to be a plugin/hybrid (Twin rear electric motors w/ front wheel drive of gas perhaps?). Seems like their customer base would want that.

Other Reasons to Buy the Subaru Outback: Front seat support & comfort, Color choices

03/30/13

A member in Texas, United States

Best Reason to Buy the Subaru Outback: Front seat support & comfort
I have found our 2012 Outback to be very comfortable for long drives. The driver's seat has plenty of adjustment to accommodate my frame. Legroom is outstanding. My wife got so spoiled with the heated seats in our 99 Outback Limited that she balks at cars without. So our 2010 and now the 2012 have had the heated seats.

Best Reason Not to Buy the Subaru Outback: Exterior styling
Outbacks prior to 2010 had a distinctive profile. Today they share a corporate shape with any number of small SUV's. I'd like to see something a little more distinctive.

Other Reasons to Buy the Subaru Outback: Powertrain performance, Rear seat room & comfort, Brand reputation & image, Interior styling

Other Reasons Not to Buy the Subaru Outback: Tires, Warranty, maintenance cost

07/04/13

Outstanding safety, durability and low maintenance
A member in New Hampshire, United States

Best Reason to Buy the Subaru Outback: Safety & braking
The 2003 Subaru Outback (& Forester) were very highly rated for safety, including passenger compartment integrity.

Best Reason Not to Buy the Subaru Outback: Driving position & visibility
Driving position is fine, but visibility out the back right side is not as good as I would prefer (but tons better than most SUVs). We've added extra looking as a driving habit to compensate.

Other Reasons to Buy the Subaru Outback: Audio & nav systems, Cargo capacity, Front seat support & comfort, Materials & workmanship

Other Reasons Not to Buy the Subaru Outback: Fuel economy

06/16/13

A good choice.
A member in Alaska, United States

Best Reason to Buy the Subaru Outback: Powertrain performance
Had a 2010 Forester with the 2.5 4cyl and auto. Hated it. Test drove the Outback with the 3.6R 6cyl and 5 spd auto. Love it! Great power and the transmission is so smooth. Just wish I could shift gears from the gear selector and didn't have to use paddles.

Best Reason Not to Buy the Subaru Outback: Dealer practices
Always have had great sales experience at the local Subaru dealership. I have purchased a Mazda, a Ford and now two Subaru's. The service writers could be friendlier, more helpful and respond quicker. Being the only Subaru dealership in Alaska's largest city they get away with a lot of crappy attitudes. No issues with the actual work performed though.

Other Reasons to Buy the Subaru Outback: Cargo capacity, Safety & braking, Reliability & durability, Front seat support & comfort

Other Reasons Not to Buy the Subaru Outback: Fuel economy, Audio & nav systems, Discounts & incentives, Driving position & visibility

04/02/13

Great car with limited competition
A member in New York, United States

Best Reason to Buy the Subaru Outback: Exterior styling
Asian standard outside, but interestingly others, like Toyota seem to aim for this look in newer models.

Best Reason Not to Buy the Subaru Outback: Handling
Better than most SUV, still a big and relatively high car, so I feel crosswinds on occasion otherwise surprisingly nimble and corners better than expected. Driving on snow and sand is perfectly fine and always makes me happy I have this car. Ground clearance is great after the frequent storms we had on the east coast the past month and great to get into the driveway when the street was plowed and build up in front.

Other Reasons to Buy the Subaru Outback: Interior styling, Color choices, Powertrain performance, Fuel economy

Other Reasons Not to Buy the Subaru Outback: Safety & braking, Ride smoothness, Quietness, Tires

01/10/13

A member in Maryland, United States

Best Reason to Buy the Subaru Outback: Powertrain performance
The 4 cyl is adequate for the mountains. I can keep it under 3000 rpm and climb anything at highway speeds of 65 or 70 mph. I don't trust it for quick passing though.

Best Reason Not to Buy the Subaru Outback: Front seat support & comfort
One complaint is the hard, short driver's seat. I use a gel cushion. I had after market leather installed.

Other Reasons to Buy the Subaru Outback: Fuel economy, Handling, Safety & braking

Other Reasons Not to Buy the Subaru Outback: Quietness, Driving position & visibility, Reliability & durability

01/05/13

Love it after 4K miles...
A member in Georgia, United States

Best Reason to Buy the Subaru Outback: Handling
After years of driving V6-powered SUVs, the handling of the Outback wagon is a huge improvement on curves and hills. Tight steering makes city handling especially nice and the the road manners on the interstate are good for road trips as well.

Best Reason Not to Buy the Subaru Outback: Ride smoothness
Ride is compliant, but not buttery smooth. Tire pressure is especially important on this car due to relatively tight suspension setup on the 2013 and beyond Outbacks (significant tighter from 2012).

Other Reasons to Buy the Subaru Outback: Fuel economy, Quietness, Interior styling, Safety & braking

Other Reasons Not to Buy the Subaru Outback: Audio & nav systems

12/27/12

'07 Subaru Outback
A member in Utah, United States

Best Reason to Buy the Subaru Outback: Cargo capacity
Quite versatile vehicle for my outdoor pursuits. Easy to mount and carry bikes, skis, all of that.

Best Reason Not to Buy the Subaru Outback: Rear seat room & comfort
I was amazed at how small the back seat is in this car. Really no bigger than a compact sedan, eg Civic or Corolla. I can't fit my 3 kids (in car seats) back there, and feel bad when co-workers pile in to go to lunch. Surprisingly small for a vehicle this size, and marketed as a "family car." If you plan to put adults or 3 kids back there regularly, look at the '10 or newer (or at something else -- the rear seat in my co-worker's Accord is far bigger and more comfortable).

Other Reasons to Buy the Subaru Outback: Powertrain performance, Exterior styling, Interior styling

Other Reasons Not to Buy the Subaru Outback: Fuel economy, Reliability & durability

11/14/12

A member in Minnesota, United States

Best Reason to Buy the Subaru Outback: Brand reputation & image
Lived up to reputation, one year 20,000 miles no repairs.

Best Reason Not to Buy the Subaru Outback: Tires
Seem to be wearing quickly.

Other Reasons to Buy the Subaru Outback: Color choices, Ride smoothness, Handling, Front seat support & comfort

11/13/12

A member in North Carolina, United States

Best Reason to Buy the Subaru Outback: Driving position & visibility
The Outback has great seating and plenty of room for 4 adults. Nice visibility for a crossover. Long trips are without fatigue.

Best Reason Not to Buy the Subaru Outback: Powertrain performance
Transmission has issues, the TCM has been reflashed 4 times. We've been told that there is not a fix and will not be a recall since it is not a 'safety issue'. Glad we leased it because it is going back; had it been a reliable vehicle we would have purchased at the end of lease. We knew a first model year had risks but never expected this.

Other Reasons to Buy the Subaru Outback: Exterior styling, Cargo capacity

Other Reasons Not to Buy the Subaru Outback: Handling, Tires, Feature availability

06/03/12

A member in Utah, United States

Best Reason to Buy the Subaru Outback: Reliability & durability
I purchase a 1-2 year old used vehicle which I then drive for 10 years at a time. I chose the Subaru due to it's longevity and reliability and it's not been disappointing so far. I'm hoping to get 200k+ miles out of this vehicle and from rea

Best Reason Not to Buy the Subaru Outback: Controls and instruments
The steering wheel and dash controls are little clunky and reminiscent of vehicle designs from 6 years ago. However, there is something to be said about simplicity.

04/10/12

A member in Ohio, United States

Best Reason to Buy the Subaru Outback: Color choices
Other Reasons to Buy the Subaru Outback: Handling, Quietness, Audio & nav systems, Ride smoothness

04/10/12

A member in Ohio, United States

Best Reason Not to Buy the Subaru Outback: Interior styling
I would like a drivers seat memory function. I heard 2013 will have one.

Other Reasons Not to Buy the Subaru Outback: Powertrain performance, Fuel economy, Handling

02/21/12

A member in Pennsylvania, United States

Best Reason to Buy the Subaru Outback: Interior styling
Heated leather seats are awesome. I love the electric seat adjustments. Spacious and quiet. Plenty of room for the dog in his "boudoir" in the back. Plenty of USB, 12V and 120V connections.

Best Reason Not to Buy the Subaru Outback: Audio & nav systems
The GPS system is horrible. At least three years out of date. And the lockout feature on GPS and Audio system when the car is moving is substandard. Waste of money. Get a Garmin Nuvi and you'll do better.

Other Reasons to Buy the Subaru Outback: Handling, Powertrain performance, Materials & workmanship

Return to top