9 3 7 7 0

Follow TrueDelta

TrueDelta at Facebook TrueDelta at Google+ TrueDelta at Twitter

Chevrolet Cavalier Gas Mileage (MPG)

Unlike other fuel economy surveys, TrueDelta's Real-World Gas Mileage Survey includes questions about how and where a car was driven. So you can get an idea of the Chevrolet Cavalier's real-world MPG based on how and where you drive a car.

Reported MPG

Flagged Gas Tank

 characters remaining
If you are not a TrueDelta member, you can see only five Chevrolet Cavalier MPG averages for each powertrain. Log in or join us to see them all.

Chevrolet Cavalier Gas Mileage

Year Body/Powertrain flat, hilly, or mountainousLand driving style: very light to "lead foot"Foot A/C use: none to heavyA/C constant stop and goTraf % many stops per mileCity % stop every mile or twoSub % fairly steady speedHwy % Hwy Spd MPG
2004 4dr Sedan 140-horsepower 2.2L I4
4-speed automatic FWD
mtns med light 34 6 3 57 80 28.0
  mtns med light 34 6 3 57 80 28.5
2004 4dr Sedan 140-horsepower 2.2L I4
4-speed automatic FWD
mtns med light 34 6 3 57 80 28.3  
  Averages mtns med light 34 6 3 57 80 28.3
With the 115-horsepower 2.2L I4 engine, 5-speed manual transmission, and front-wheel drive, 2004 Chevrolet Cavalier fuel economy has been averaging 28.3 MPG (miles per gallon).

The 2004 Chevrolet Cavaliers in this analysis were driven mostly on the highway at an average speed of 80 miles per hour (about 57 percent of the miles driven). The rest of the miles were in heavy traffic (34 percent), in the city (6 percent), and in the suburbs (3 percent).

In addition the average 2004 Chevrolet Cavalier in this analysis was driven on mountainous terrain with a medium foot and the AC on only some of the time.
 
Year Body/Powertrain flat, hilly, or mountainousLand driving style: very light to "lead foot"Foot A/C use: none to heavyA/C constant stop and goTraf % many stops per mileCity % stop every mile or twoSub % fairly steady speedHwy % Hwy Spd MPG
2004 2dr Coupe 140-horsepower 2.2L I4
4-speed automatic FWD
flat light light 0 15 0 85 70 33.1
2004 2dr Coupe 140-horsepower 2.2L I4
4-speed automatic FWD
flat light light 0 15 0 85 70 33.1  
  Averages flat light light 0 15 0 85 70 33.1
With the 140-horsepower 2.2L I4 engine, 4-speed automatic transmission, and front-wheel drive, the 2004 Chevrolet Cavalier has been averaging 33.1 MPG (miles per gallon).

The 2004 Chevrolet Cavaliers in this analysis were driven mostly on the highway at an average speed of 70 miles per hour (about 85 percent of the miles driven). The rest of the miles were in the city (15 percent), in heavy traffic (0 percent), and in the suburbs (0 percent).

In addition the average 2004 Chevrolet Cavalier in this analysis was driven on flat terrain with a light foot and the AC on only some of the time.
 
Year Body/Powertrain flat, hilly, or mountainousLand driving style: very light to "lead foot"Foot A/C use: none to heavyA/C constant stop and goTraf % many stops per mileCity % stop every mile or twoSub % fairly steady speedHwy % Hwy Spd MPG
2003 2dr Coupe 140-horsepower 2.2L I4
5-speed manual FWD
flat med none 0 0 20 80 62 26.4
  flat v.lt hvy 0 0 10 90 60 34.0
  flat v.lt hvy 0 0 10 90 60 34.0
  flat med hvy 0 0 10 90 75 30.0
  flat light light 0 0 90 10 75 27.0
2003 2dr Coupe 140-horsepower 2.2L I4
5-speed manual FWD
flat light light 0 0 28 72 66 30.3  
  Averages flat light light 0 0 28 72 66 30.3
With the 140-horsepower 2.2L I4 engine, 5-speed manual transmission, and front-wheel drive, 2003 Chevrolet Cavalier gas mileage has been averaging 30.3 MPG (miles per gallon).

The 2003 Chevrolet Cavaliers in this analysis were driven mostly on the highway at an average speed of 66 miles per hour (about 72 percent of the miles driven). The rest of the miles were in the suburbs (28 percent), in heavy traffic (0 percent), and in the city (0 percent).

In addition the average 2003 Chevrolet Cavalier in this analysis was driven on flat terrain with a light foot and the AC on only some of the time.
 
Year Body/Powertrain flat, hilly, or mountainousLand driving style: very light to "lead foot"Foot A/C use: none to heavyA/C constant stop and goTraf % many stops per mileCity % stop every mile or twoSub % fairly steady speedHwy % Hwy Spd MPG
2003 2dr Coupe 140-horsepower 2.2L I4
4-speed automatic FWD
hills light none 0 0 30 70 60 30.8
2003 2dr Coupe 140-horsepower 2.2L I4
4-speed automatic FWD
hills light none 0 0 30 70 60 30.8  
  Averages hills light none 0 0 30 70 60 30.8
With the 140-horsepower 2.2L I4 engine, 4-speed automatic transmission, and front-wheel drive, 2003 Chevrolet Cavalier fuel economy has been averaging 30.8 MPG (miles per gallon).

The 2003 Chevrolet Cavaliers in this analysis were driven mostly on the highway at an average speed of 60 miles per hour (about 70 percent of the miles driven). The rest of the miles were in the suburbs (30 percent), in heavy traffic (0 percent), and in the city (0 percent).

In addition the average 2003 Chevrolet Cavalier in this analysis was driven on hilly terrain with a light foot and the AC not used at all.
 
Year Body/Powertrain flat, hilly, or mountainousLand driving style: very light to "lead foot"Foot A/C use: none to heavyA/C constant stop and goTraf % many stops per mileCity % stop every mile or twoSub % fairly steady speedHwy % Hwy Spd MPG
2002 4dr Sedan 115-horsepower 2.2L I4
4-speed automatic FWD
hills med hvy 10 20 20 50 80 29.6
2002 4dr Sedan 115-horsepower 2.2L I4
4-speed automatic FWD
hills med hvy 10 20 20 50 80 29.6  
  Averages hills med hvy 10 20 20 50 80 29.6
With the 115-horsepower 2.2L I4 engine, 5-speed manual transmission, and front-wheel drive, the 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier has been averaging 29.6 MPG (miles per gallon).

The 2002 Chevrolet Cavaliers in this analysis were driven mostly on the highway at an average speed of 80 miles per hour (about 50 percent of the miles driven). The rest of the miles were in the city (20 percent), in the suburbs (20 percent), and in heavy traffic (10 percent).

In addition the average 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier in this analysis was driven on hilly terrain with a medium foot and the AC on most or all of the time.
 
Year Body/Powertrain flat, hilly, or mountainousLand driving style: very light to "lead foot"Foot A/C use: none to heavyA/C constant stop and goTraf % many stops per mileCity % stop every mile or twoSub % fairly steady speedHwy % Hwy Spd MPG
2002 2dr Coupe 140-horsepower 2.2L I4
4-speed automatic FWD
flat med none 10 10 30 50 60 24.2
2002 2dr Coupe 140-horsepower 2.2L I4
4-speed automatic FWD
flat med none 10 10 30 50 60 24.2  
  Averages flat med none 10 10 30 50 60 24.2
With the 140-horsepower 2.2L I4 engine, 4-speed automatic transmission, and front-wheel drive, 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier gas mileage has been averaging 24.2 MPG (miles per gallon).

The 2002 Chevrolet Cavaliers in this analysis were driven mostly on the highway at an average speed of 60 miles per hour (about 50 percent of the miles driven). The rest of the miles were in the suburbs (30 percent), in heavy traffic (10 percent), and in the city (10 percent).

In addition the average 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier in this analysis was driven on flat terrain with a medium foot and the AC not used at all.
 
Year Body/Powertrain flat, hilly, or mountainousLand driving style: very light to "lead foot"Foot A/C use: none to heavyA/C constant stop and goTraf % many stops per mileCity % stop every mile or twoSub % fairly steady speedHwy % Hwy Spd MPG
2002 2dr Coupe 115-horsepower 2.2L I4
4-speed automatic FWD
flat med hvy 3 15 12 70 70 21.9
  flat med light 10 10 80 0 N/A 26.8
2002 2dr Coupe 115-horsepower 2.2L I4
4-speed automatic FWD
flat med hvy 7 13 46 35 70 24.4  
  Averages flat med hvy 7 13 46 35 70 24.4
With the 115-horsepower 2.2L I4 engine, 4-speed automatic transmission, and front-wheel drive, 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier fuel economy has been averaging 24.4 MPG (miles per gallon).

The 2002 Chevrolet Cavaliers in this analysis were driven mostly in the suburbs (about 46 percent of the miles driven). The rest of the miles were on the highway at an average speed of 70 miles per hour (35 percent), in the city (13 percent), and in heavy traffic (7 percent).

In addition the average 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier in this analysis was driven on flat terrain with a medium foot and the AC on most or all of the time.
 
Year Body/Powertrain flat, hilly, or mountainousLand driving style: very light to "lead foot"Foot A/C use: none to heavyA/C constant stop and goTraf % many stops per mileCity % stop every mile or twoSub % fairly steady speedHwy % Hwy Spd MPG
2001 4dr Sedan 115-horsepower 2.2L I4
3-speed automatic FWD
flat light none 0 0 0 100 65 23.8
2001 4dr Sedan 115-horsepower 2.2L I4
3-speed automatic FWD
flat light none 0 0 0 100 65 23.8  
  Averages flat light none 0 0 0 100 65 23.8
With the 115-horsepower 2.2L I4 engine, 3-speed automatic transmission, and front-wheel drive, the 2001 Chevrolet Cavalier has been averaging 23.8 MPG (miles per gallon).

The 2001 Chevrolet Cavaliers in this analysis were driven mostly on the highway at an average speed of 65 miles per hour (about 100 percent of the miles driven). The rest of the miles were in heavy traffic (0 percent), in the suburbs (0 percent), and in the city (0 percent).

In addition the average 2001 Chevrolet Cavalier in this analysis was driven on flat terrain with a light foot and the AC not used at all.
 
Year Body/Powertrain flat, hilly, or mountainousLand driving style: very light to "lead foot"Foot A/C use: none to heavyA/C constant stop and goTraf % many stops per mileCity % stop every mile or twoSub % fairly steady speedHwy % Hwy Spd MPG
2001 2dr Coupe 150-horsepower 2.4L I4
4-speed automatic FWD
flat light none 18 47 12 24 60 27.8
2001 2dr Coupe 150-horsepower 2.4L I4
4-speed automatic FWD
flat light none 18 47 12 24 60 27.8  
  Averages flat light none 18 47 12 24 60 27.8
With the 140-horsepower 2.2L I4 engine, 4-speed automatic transmission, and front-wheel drive, 2001 Chevrolet Cavalier gas mileage has been averaging 27.8 MPG (miles per gallon).

The 2001 Chevrolet Cavaliers in this analysis were driven mostly in the city (about 47 percent of the miles driven). The rest of the miles were on the highway at an average speed of 60 miles per hour (24 percent), in heavy traffic (18 percent), and in the suburbs (12 percent).

In addition the average 2001 Chevrolet Cavalier in this analysis was driven on flat terrain with a light foot and the AC not used at all.
 
Year Body/Powertrain flat, hilly, or mountainousLand driving style: very light to "lead foot"Foot A/C use: none to heavyA/C constant stop and goTraf % many stops per mileCity % stop every mile or twoSub % fairly steady speedHwy % Hwy Spd MPG
2001 2dr Coupe 115-horsepower 2.2L I4
5-speed manual FWD
flat med none 0 10 5 85 60 31.8
2001 2dr Coupe 115-horsepower 2.2L I4
5-speed manual FWD
flat med none 0 10 5 85 60 31.8  
  Averages flat med none 0 10 5 85 60 31.8
With the 115-horsepower 2.2L I4 engine, 5-speed manual transmission, and front-wheel drive, 2001 Chevrolet Cavalier fuel economy has been averaging 31.8 MPG (miles per gallon).

The 2001 Chevrolet Cavaliers in this analysis were driven mostly on the highway at an average speed of 60 miles per hour (about 85 percent of the miles driven). The rest of the miles were in the city (10 percent), in the suburbs (5 percent), and in heavy traffic (0 percent).

In addition the average 2001 Chevrolet Cavalier in this analysis was driven on flat terrain with a medium foot and the AC not used at all.

Return to top

What Our Members Are Saying about the Real Chevrolet Cavalier MPG

Chevrolet Cavalier Fuel Economy: Pros
Year Body/Powertrain Comment
2004 2dr Coupe 140-hp 2.2L I4 4-sp automatic FWD you can get over 35mpg on the highway if you drive moderately
Chevrolet Cavalier Fuel Economy: Cons
Year Body/Powertrain Comment
2002 2dr Coupe 140-hp 2.2L I4 4-sp automatic FWD Bottom of class.