We are 107,000+ car owners sharing real-world car information.

Join Us

Toyota Matrix MPG

MPG Number of Vehicles
24 miles per gallon 1 vehicles
25 miles per gallon 0 vehicles
26 miles per gallon 0 vehicles
27 miles per gallon 1 vehicles
28 miles per gallon 1 vehicles
29 miles per gallon 3 vehicles
30 miles per gallon 3 vehicles
31 miles per gallon 1 vehicles
32 miles per gallon 0 vehicles
33 miles per gallon 3 vehicles
Model Year Body/Powertrain MPG  
2004 2004 4dr Hatch 158-hp 2.4L I4 5-sp manual FWD 32.66
See all data
With the 158-horsepower 2.4L I4 engine, 5-speed manual transmission, and front-wheel drive, the 2004 Toyota Matrix has been averaging 32.66 MPG (miles per gallon).

The 2004 Toyota Matrixs in this analysis were driven mostly on the highway at an average speed of 65 miles per hour (about 92.5 percent of the miles driven). The rest of the miles were in the city (7.5 percent), in the suburbs (0 percent), and in heavy traffic (0 percent).

In addition, the average 2004 Toyota Matrix in this analysis was driven on flat terrain with a medium foot and the AC not used at all.
2004 2004 4dr Hatch 132-hp 1.8L I4 5-sp manual FWD 28.32
See all data
2004 2004 4dr Hatch 132-hp 1.8L I4 4-sp automatic FWD 29.91
See all data

Return to top

Was this information useful?

We're glad we could help! Share this page:

We're so sorry! Tell us how we can improve it.

See TrueDelta's information for all Hatchbacks
See TrueDelta's information for all Toyota models.

What Our Members Are Saying about the Real Gas Mileage of the 2004 Toyota Matrix

2004 Toyota Matrix Real Gas Mileage: Pros
YearBody/PowertrainComment
2005 4dr Hatch 130-horsepower 1.8L I4
4-speed automatic FWD
Front WD w/ 4sp auto, great highway mileage, but not near the advertised ratings see full Toyota Matrix review
2004 4dr Hatch 130-horsepower 1.8L I4
4-speed automatic FWD
Great fuel economy for a 1.8L with 30 MPG on the highway and a 500km range. see full Toyota Matrix review
2004 4dr Hatch 130-horsepower 1.8L I4
4-speed automatic FWD
Have never gotten less than 28 MPG, even when driving hard and in mountains. Usually get between 30 and 31 in the rolling country where I live. Have gotten over 34. see full Toyota Matrix review
2004 4dr Hatch 130-horsepower 1.8L I4
4-speed automatic FWD
Very economical on gas. see full Toyota Matrix review
2004 4dr Hatch 130-horsepower 1.8L I4
4-speed automatic FWD
With K&N air intake, we got 34mpg on freeway, and it adds 5hp to 10hp when you need to pass other cars. see full Toyota Matrix review
2004 4dr Hatch 130-horsepower 1.8L I4
4-speed automatic FWD
Very good 28 city 33 highway see full Toyota Matrix review
2003 4dr Hatch 130-horsepower 1.8L I4
5-speed manual FWD
Haul 600# of sports cargo during trips. Car does 36 mpg if speed <=60 mph, 33 mpg <=70, 30 mpg under 80 and 28 under 90 mph. see full Toyota Matrix review
2003 4dr Hatch 130-horsepower 1.8L I4
4-speed automatic FWD
Gets approx 32 miles per gallon on average see full Toyota Matrix review
2003 4dr Hatch 130-horsepower 1.8L I4
4-speed automatic FWD
30+mpg see full Toyota Matrix review
2003 4dr Hatch 123-horsepower 1.8L I4
4-speed automatic AWD
30 -32 mpg. what more to say. see full Toyota Matrix review
2004 Toyota Matrix Real Gas Mileage: Cons
YearBody/PowertrainComment
2005 4dr Hatch 130-horsepower 1.8L I4
4-speed automatic FWD
Not even close to what is advertised see full Toyota Matrix review
 

2004 Toyota Matrix Gas Mileage (MPG)

Unlike other fuel economy surveys, TrueDelta's Real-World Gas Mileage Survey includes questions about how and where a car was driven. So you can get an idea of the Toyota Matrix's real-world MPG based on how and where you drive a car.